Creative Writing Competition
We are inviting entries for our creative writing competition in 2018. We are looking for poetry or short stories, and the main criterion is that they must be inspired by the First World War away from the Western Front. This website will provide much of the background you need on the relevant campaigns, and the projects show how some people have responded creatively already.
Click on the Word icon to download an entry form, which also includes the competition rules. Alternatively, a PDF version of the entry form is available here.
Who can enter?
Entry is free, and is open to people from any country. There are three age categories:
- 10 and under
- Over 18
What are the criteria?
The entries should either be a poem (max 40 lines) or a short story (max 1000 words). In addition, we are asking that each entry is accompanied by a short paragraph (on the entry form) which states how it relates to the war away from the Western Front.
Suitable subjects might be:
- Inspired by the places where the campaigns were fought, such as Palestine, Mesopotamia, Salonika or Africa.
Inspired by records of people who experienced the war at first hand in those areas.
- Inspired by surviving objects which meant something to the soldiers who experienced the war in those areas.
- Inspired by the environments where the war took place, such as desert, mountains, jungle or coasts.
- Inspired by broader themes such as technology, colonialism, multicultural troops, disease, medical issues, transportation, the great distances involved or the contribution of women.
- Inspired by the legacy of the war away from the Western Front and how it affected the people and countries where it took place.
When is the deadline for entries?
The deadline for entries is 14th September 2018.
How do I submit my entry?
Please complete the entry form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email entries will be acknowledged.
What are the prizes?
The winner of each category will receive a £50 book token, with additional prizes for runners up.
When will the winners be announced?
Winners will be announced on 1st October 2018.
Data protection. We will retain entry forms on our systems for the purpose of this competition but will not pass on your data to any third party.